Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Nearer My God to Thee - September 29, 2014

September 29, 2014

Hymn on page 100. It is my absolute favorite by far. Come Thou Fount of Every blessing is also a close favorite, but it isn't in the hymn book, so I guess I can't count it. Wow...I just tried to use this computer as if it had a touch screen...the heck. Haha anyways...now I am way off topic. So, Nearer My God to Thee. I feel like that is how I can describe my entire mission, but this past week has been no exception.

On Wednesday we had an awesome opportunity. All the missionaries from Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Fallon, and Quincy got together here in my area with yellow "Helping Hands" vests and we cleaned up a park for the city of Sparks. I was out snipping down willows the entire time. The force of 170 missionaries was able to knock the project out pretty quickly. It not only was exciting to see so many of my good missionary friends, but it was nice to be able to do that service. I truly have a testimony of service. It brings us closer to our Heavenly Father. Mosiah 2:17 "And behold I tell you these things that you may learn wisdom; that you may learn that when you are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God". Doing that service brought me nearer to God this week.

I bet you can guess what else brought me nearer to God this week. Yep. My bike. It is the most frustrating thing I think I have ever had to deal with. However, it causes me to pray a lot. So, yes my bike has brought me nearer to God this week.

Singing has brought me nearer to God this week. There is a Less Active lady that we visit here, and we always start our lessons with her with a song. I enjoy it. This week we actually sang, "Nearer My God to Thee". I love singing. Even though I am not too good at it.

There are so many things that are able to bring us closer to our Heavenly Father. I mention a lot of them each and every week. This week we have the opportunity to be able to listen to our Prophet and Apostles in General Conference. I know that is definitely a way that we are able to come nearer to our Heavenly Father, because as we listen, there will be something said that will touch us. We will be able to recognize that Heavenly Father really is talking to us. I encourage you all to be prepared for it :)

So, to give you a little update on those we are teaching. Things are actually going pretty well. My companion is a crazy Tongan, and just when I think I can't take it any more, we start a new day, and things are good. We have to use team work to not only teach, but to break into our own bathroom. Funny story. For some reason all of a sudden, we can no longer open the bathroom door from the outside, even if it is unlocked. Super weird. We had a great time breaking in though. Good bonding experiences. The late night talks also help a lot. My companion is crazy, but I love him :)

Now...that had nothing to do with those we are teaching. We have two people set with a baptismal date for October 11th. One is pretty solid, the other will probably have to be moved, but we will see. We have others that are progressing, but it is relatively slowly. We actually have started working with an awesome part member family this past week and so far, things are looking promising there. They came to church yesterday. I really feel like things are picking up here,and it is exciting, and definitely helpful. As it helps me remain focused. So yeah, things are going well for me and September is already basically done. Woah. It is going quickly!

Dad- Thanks for all the news. It is definitely appreciated. I figured my team would have a W this week. I am happy :) That is a bummer about ASU though. Shucks. Did they drop in their ranking?? The Tongan is going good. I know how to say yes and liar. haha. The important stuff ;) Let's just say, I have had quite a few of the interesting guys as companions. Haha. Jeri Lin did give me the exciting news :) As for conference. I am gonna see if we can watch it in members or less active or even investigators homes. If we can't find anyone then we will be headed up the road to the church building. I hope that answers your questions. I also hope that you have a good week this week. I love and miss you Dad :)

Mom- Thanks for sharing haha :) I was actually talking about that ambulance to someone...it might have been a while ago. I don't remember haha. Anyways I hope you have had a good week Mom and I hope you have another good one this week. I sure do love and miss you :)

Jeri Lin- Thank you for the loves from Texas :) Well that is no fun about the sickness. I am glad that the excitement is there for the new baby though :) I am glad you continue to see the good in all the little things. Continue to do that this week and have another good one :) I love and miss ya!

Keila- I hear you got to go to the ASU game. Lucky. Even though they lost. I hope you have had a good week. I love and miss ya :)

Sydney- Thanks for your email :) It has been kinda cold, just rainy. The fall is coming for sure. I am gonna be happy to miss the real cold here. I will probably get a little of it, but not the whole thing. Thank goodness :) Good job on your swimming! That is awesome. Keep it up :) I love and miss you :)

Leslie- Thank you for sharing with me what you shared in your devotional. That is awesome :) I really do love and miss you too. Keep being awesome and have a good week :)

Brooke and Hayden- I love you two! :) Smile :)

Well that is all I have for today and this week. Keep being awesome!
I love and miss you all!

Love
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment