Monday, September 22, 2014

Origin -September 22, 2014

September 22, 2014

This week sure has been full of its ups and downs. At times, I felt as high as a kite and at other times I felt pretty down. I will explain some of those times.

Tuesday morning at about 9:30 I received a call from one of the Assistants to President. He called to tell me that they were doing some last minute transfer arrangements. The companion I was told I was originally gonna be with stayed in his area and I have given the opportunity to be companions now with Elder Katoa. I was super excited! My companion was born in Hawaii but grew up in Tonga! This is as close to Tonga as I can get on my mission, which is where I always wanted to serve. It is a lot of fun. He is still working on learning English better, but we have had a good first week together. Other missionaries are always saying, "I dunno how you do it, you are so patient". I just have fun. That's it, that's all. There is my secret. :)

That was one of my ups. Now for one of my downs. I have been riding a bike for so long, that my back tire finally gave up on me. I rode it down to the tube, and before that I got about 5 flats within a couple of hours. I ran out of patches, so I was cutting up old tubes and using rubber cement to patch my tires. If that isn't frustrating, I dunno what is. However, there is a positive to this story. Someone here was generous enough to buy me a new back tire. Without me asking. I am very blessed, because I was very unsure about what I would do for the next few weeks without one.

I will now end with a positive note. Yesterday, my companion and I were able to speak in Sacrament. I was left with about 25 minutes to fill. I did it! I was pretty proud of myself haha. Anyways, I would just like to share a little bit of what I spoke about yesterday. That is where the title of this email comes in. I was asked to give a background of myself and how I have received my testimony. I explained to them, I am an Arizona boy, with a big Mormon family, blah blah blah. The good stuff. Then I explained the three major aspects of how my testimony has developed over the years. It comes from the three simple "primary answers" I guess you could say. Church, Prayer, and Scripture study. My testimony has taken time to develop. I haven't always been the best at doing those three things, but the little things here have lead me to the point of where I am at today. On my mission, it has only increased more. I have improved in those areas myself, and seen the effect is has on others lives. They are true and powerful principles. A few weeks ago...maybe it was this week...I dunno. The time is running together. Anyways, I prayed to have the feeling of truly loving and wanting to be a missionary. As I have seen my friends now complete their missions, I see that desire that many of them have to continue doing what they are doing as missionaries. I enjoy being a missionary, but I feel like I didn't have that...fire I guess. I dunno. So I prayed for that fire. As I was sharing how I received my testimony and as I was out sharing that testimony yesterday afternoon. It came to me. I really enjoy doing this. I enjoy sharing what I know to be true, as it has become part of me. It has taken some time, but it is there, and I was able to recognize it. It helps me keep pushing forward now. It is my drive. Even if people decide to throw pizza crust at me from there car as I am talking to people on the street. I am grateful for my testimony. I am grateful for all of you. Each one has played a part in helping me develop that testimony. I know that this work and this church is true. I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I know he has restored the Gospel on the earth today through modern prophets in order to bless our families. The way it comes is through our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Which is developed through Prayer, Church, and Scripture Study. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Here is one of my absolute favorite Mormon Messages

http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages/topics/prayer?v=2505987918001

I am going to enjoy these last 11 weeks!

Remember to keep going to Church, reading, and praying!!

Dad- I still haven't gotten anything from you this week. Just know that I love and miss ya, muchly. I saw that your Seahawks beat the Broncos, good work :) I also got a tire, so if you haven't gotten one already. Don't worry. :) I hope you have a good week. You are awesome :) I love you and miss you!

Mom- Thank you again for your pictures and the email. I always enjoy the report of a good week :) That is cool that Sydney and Leslie were able to compete against each other. I think it would be fun to compete against a sibling. :) Thank you for sending me the Gibbons gazette as well. It is good to be updated :) I am just glad you and everyone are still doing well. I love and miss you Mom, and I hope you have another good week :)

Jeri Lin- Well it looks like I have missed an email from you this week as well. Don't feel bad, it is all good :) I think Mom mentioned some sort of big news though? You will have to get me updated on that as soon as you can. :) I hope you have had a good week and have a good one this week! I love and miss ya :)

Keila- Mom also mentioned to me some big plans that you have as well! All this big news and I still haven't heard anything :) Haha I love and miss ya, and hope to hear soon! :)

Sydney- Well I am glad you enjoyed your week! I am also glad that you had a good time on your date and that you were able to make good friends with Lisa, weird to think she is getting married. That is what happens though. Thanks for keeping me posted. I hope you have another good week! Love and miss ya!

Leslie- You are awesome. Just thought I would let you know that. Also, wanted to wish you a good week this week! Love ya and miss ya!

Brooke- Mom told me that you had to spray the weeds this week. Good work! I hope school is going well! I love and miss you :)

Hayden- I love ya man! I will see you soon!!

I love and miss you all!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment