Tuesday, September 9, 2014

All Leads to Sunday September 8, 2014

I was thinking about this last night. What is "this" you ask? Well the title of this email of course. In my head, I make many comparisons of this missionary work to sports. It makes the tough times a little more bearable. Anyways, with football season starting up again here again, I realized that on a mission, everything comes down to Sunday. All the work and preparation from the entire week comes to that day. You are able to see if the ones you have been teaching and committing to come to church will actually be there. If you have had a baptism, the confirmation happens on Sunday. And of course, we have the weekly call in report on Sunday night where we evaluate how we have done and see the areas where we could use some improvement for the next week. Interesting how football works in a very similar way. :)

As it came to Sunday, I realized that we had a very good week. In my books, we could put up a W at the end of this week. Now let's take a look at the highlights for the week. I went on exchanges on Wednesday and I was with a missionary who has been out for just about a month now. It was fun teaching with a youngster. Kinda makes me want to train again. It was a good day. On that day, we found two new investigators and a potential investigator and taught four solid lessons. It was enjoyable :) Then we move to Saturday and Brother Flanigan was indeed baptized. It was a simple baptism. Not too many people. It was a good one though. I was asked to be a witness. I also talked and taught the Restoration of the Gospel by myself during the time while they were changing into dry clothes. That is something President has encouraged us to do, as it keeps the Spirit there. Then I was asked to also say the closing prayer. It was a busy baptism. Like I said though, it was a great one. There is nothing better than being able to see the joy and the change that comes into peoples lives after they make that covenant. That joy then continued on into Sunday as I was asked to confirm him during Sacrament meeting. That was another great experience for me :) Then after sacrament, we were invited into the Bishop's office and were asked to participate in his Priesthood ordination. Awesome. :) Now we will move to Sunday night. The stake has been preparing a missionary fireside for about a month now and last night it all came into effect. It was about how families can be together forever. My companion and I probably gave out a little more than 30 invitations over the past few weeks, and we had a total of 1 person show up. Worth it. I was able to see a few people from the good ol' ward I served in at the beginning of my mission. The best one though was as I was sitting there during the meeting, I leaned back and looked to the row behind me. And who did I see? Raina. I dunno if you all remember her, but I baptized her just before I left Sparks. I was so incredibly happy to see her. Of course after the meeting, I rushed as fast as I could through the crowd to find her and say hello. I was just super glad that she recognized me. It was an awesome reunion. :) Like I said, it all leads to Sunday. And this week was a success :)

As for our all of the others we are teaching. They all are doing pretty well. The progression is just kinda slow at this point. Mostly all of them just have struggles here and there that are holding them back. Which is nothing new, and nothing we can't handle. Just gotta continue to be patient and continue to find others to teach :)

Dad- I didn't get an update of the Chargers and Tards from ya. Haha. I am glad your team did well though. That is way awesome. That is crazy about the rain too. Some people had mentioned it too me, but I didn't realize that it was that bad! That is crazy. I miss all the craziness. I missed the snow last year and then this crazy rain. Oh well. It is starting to cool down quite a bit here. Which I am not too excited for. Gonna have to be busting out the thermals here pretty soon. Time is just flying by. It is unreal.Thanks for all your love and support. I sure do miss you and love you. I hope you have a good week. :)

Mom- I think I missed ya this week, but I want you to know that I don't love ya any less. You are the best Mom I could ask for :) I just hope that you have had a good week and that you have another one this week :) I love you and miss ya!

Jeri Lin- Time sure doesn't pass the same as it used to. I remember the first 12 weeks in the mission field were like an eternity and I was wondering if I would ever make it to the end. After this week, I will only have 12 weeks left. Woah. It is really crazy stuff. I am glad to hear that you and the Tony and the kiddos had another good, fun week :) Jumping fish and all. I remember being a Fremont Flying Fish back in the day when I was trying to be a Michael Phelps. Anyways...haha. I hope you have another good week. I love and miss you :) Also! Happy Birthday to Tony!!

Keila- I am glad you are excited. :) Haha Thanks for the update. That is way cool that school was cancelled. Who would think that would ever happen over there in the good ol' AZ?? :) I hope you do get to work and that it goes well and that you have another good week! I love and miss you Wei :)

Sydney- Well I let Hailey know that your hair looks good, so I will let you know. Your hair looks good :) I am glad swimming is going well. :) Thank you also for sharing the essay you wrote. That is good. It is weird, but sometimes I miss writing :) I hope you have another good week and are able to stay as dry as possible! :) I love and miss ya Syd!

Leslie- Well I hope you got my letter this week. I also hope you are still doing well in Swim. Stay awesome and keep working hard :) I love and miss you :)

Brooke- I hope you are having a good day! I hope you have 7 more good days until I can send you another short little note. Your Birthday is in like 5 days. So Happy Birthday to you :) I love and miss ya!

Hayden-I hope you are still doing well little brother :) Have a good week! I love and miss ya :)

That is all I have for now. I love and miss you all!! Have a good week :)

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)


No comments:

Post a Comment