Monday, October 20, 2014

Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow October 20, 2014



I am here to witness to you that there truly is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Even though we may not see it right at the start. :)

This week we had the opportunity to attend the Reno Temple. It was a cloudy morning as we rode up the hills of Reno. While driving a magnificent, bright rainbow appeared and we all viewed it in awe (myself, Elder Katoa, and the Senior couple we were riding with). As we were driving I kept my eyes on the rainbow. Soon enough, the temple also came into view. Where did the rainbow lead to? Right to the temple. :)

Now let me relate that story to the rest of my week and to life :)

This week was another that was full of ups and downs. I believe on Thursday night, I was feeling a bit down and discouraged. After we had planned, I sat and contemplated,I finally decided to ask my companion for a blessing. After eating his second dinner, he agreed to do it. In Tongan. It was an interesting experience because I have no idea still what was said in the blessing. He wouldn't tell me. All I know is that I felt good afterwards my attitude and mood changed :) Priesthood power is real. No doubt.

On Saturday night, we were headed over to one of the part member families that we are working with. The husband who is not a member, is set with a baptismal date and we have developed a good relationship with them. However on the way over there, we got a text saying that the husband was going to be heading back down to Arizona and that he probably wouldn't be coming back. We were extremely bummed. We got over there and they told us he was getting on the bus in the morning. We still taught them, and then exchanged goodbyes. He had been so excited for baptism and as we left I just couldn't help but feel disappointed and ask Heavenly Father why this was happening. I also asked in my nightly prayer if there was anything he could do to change his mind. His wife and kids were still planning on coming to church and I was just happy about that. Told myself that I just needed to keep moving forward. Now it is Sunday and we are standing at the doors greeting people. Then who walks in? The whole family including Steve. He then explained to me that he was at the bus station that morning and something just told him he couldn't leave. So he called his wife and asked her to come pick him up. He stayed for all three hours of church. Sometimes we just need to keep moving forward. Keep your eyes on the rainbow or Heavenly Father. It will work out and you will be able to find that pot of gold. Whatever it may be.

Just keep a positive attitude, and when you need help, don't be afraid to ask. Those are the lessons that I learned this week and have been being taught to me my entire mission.

I am truly grateful for this opportunity and experience :)

Things are continuing to get better. Steve is staying. We also found two new investigators this week that both seem to be pretty solid. The ward is becoming more and more supportive each week. Transfer calls will be coming this week and I imagine I will be staying here for my last six weeks :)

Dad- Well I don't currently have an email from you. Sydney did send a picture of you at the Phoenix temple though, and you look good. :) I hope your week was as good as you look. Haha I love and miss ya Dad :) Have a good week this week! So...I just got your email. Thank you for your input and thoughts. I really do appreciate it. Thanks also for all the updates. Just remember that you are always in my prayers and that I appreciate you dearly. :) Thank you for being my Dad.

Mom- I dunno if I was "graceful like a gazelle" back then. I have had a lot of improvement since I was on the Tigers soccer team haha. That is pretty funny. Thank you for sharing that and for sharing the story about the Mormon Crickets. It seems to me that Hayden may be as funny as me someday ;) Haha I love that kid. Congratulations on your new calling! And I am glad you all were able to enjoy time at the Phoenix temple as a family :) It sounds to me like things continue to go well and thank you for all the pictures :) And that scripture. :) Isaac told me that you sent him a huge thank you for the pictures and the video. :) I hope you have another good week Mom. I love and miss ya!

Jeri Lin- Well it looks like I don't have much news on the Browns this week either. Just know that I love and miss you too and hope that you have a good week! :)

Keila- Taking naps in the school parking lot. Nice ;) Haha I love and miss ya Wei! Have a good week :)

Sydney- Thank you for your email and for the pictures :) Just remember to keep your eyes on the rainbow, there is a pot of gold at the end :) Good luck in your meet. Just keep working hard to the very end :) I love and miss ya Syd. Thank you for being my Sister :) Have a good week!

Leslie- I got your letter and I am gonna try sending you one this week! I hope you have a good week. Just remember to smile :) Love and miss ya!

Brooke and Hayden- Keep being awesome :) I love and miss you two :)

I love and miss you all!

Love
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle

No comments:

Post a Comment