Thursday, October 3, 2013

Say Hello to Elder Finkel September 23, 2013

September 23, 2013
So for those of you who don't know me, I am Elder Fink....I mean Shinkle. I am from Mesa Arizona...and I am a missionary.

That is how my talk started out yesterday. Thanks to some type-o's on the program. Haha. I got some good laughs out of that introduction, so it ended up being pretty good. I will now be known as Elder Finkel in the Spring Creek 5th ward for...the rest of time. Haha. Anyways, It was good. I was able to speak on my very favorite Book of Mormon Missionary. Ammon. As I was preparing my talk, I asked myself why he is my favorite. First thing that came to mind. He is patient. I dunno about you, but if my mission started out by me getting tied up and taken before a king, I think I would probably would have gotten a little frustrated. The second thing, he is willing to serve. In Alma 17: 22-25, Lamoni asks Ammon if he would like to marry one of his daughters. Now...I don't know for sure, but I believe that Lamoni's daughters were on the cute side of the spectrum. Ammon says no, but he wants to serve. Stud. Then the last thing I chose to focus on was his selflessness. He loved the people he was serving. So much that he said that he would be willing to serve till the day he died if needed. Woah. So...Are we willing to go where he wants us to go? If we have that Charity. That pure love of Christ, we will have that desire. Not only that, but we will be also fulfilling one of the covenants we made at Baptism. That we will always remember him. When we love something, we focus on those things. Such as me with football. I love watching, studying, and playing it. So, If we have that love for our Saviour, we will do everything we can to do those things that he did and the things that have been asked of us. One of which is missionary work. Share the message with your friends!

That was my talk in a nutshell. Now for other news. I have been getting pretty frustrated at times with Nancy. We have been trying so hard to get her to come to church. The best we can get from her is that she will think about it. I know if she does come that she will be able to receive that answer she has been looking for. So...we told her to call us when she decided whether or not she wanted to come this past week. The call came Saturday evening. She said no. What the heck? Our lessons have been going so well. What are we doing wrong? I started reading my patriarchal blessing. In the section about my mission it states that as I seek to overcome obstacles, the Lord will bless me and help me be a powerful missionary basically. That hit me pretty good. So...we will have to reschedule a baptismal date for her, but we are gonna keep doing what we are doing to help her get to the point where she feels comfortable to come to church. Keep praying.

Then we have Brenda and the Kids. They are doing well. Continuing to progress. They were all planning on being at church yesterday, but caught some nasty bug and weren't able to make it. We are still trying to work out a date for them, but it will come when they are ready. They all want to be baptized. Just working some things out.

OH! So we have been working with a guy named Jerry. He started coming back to church the transfer before I got here. He is one of the coolest old guys you will ever meet. He gives us ice cream and powerade every time we stop by. Anyways, he has been working on preparing to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood as well as receive a temple recommend so that he can be sealed to his wife who has passed away. So yesterday, he was able to be ordained to the office of an Elder. He asked all four of us missionaries to participate. It was awesome. I respect that man.

I did receive the package. Thank you mucho! I also wore the tie yesterday. Good choice. I have yet to drink my priesthood or scripture power. You guys are all awesome and I think I look perty good in the sunglasses. B)

Dad- The football season is crazy. The youth in my ward were giving me updates yesterday...the Chargers are so frustrating. Still love them though. That is awesome that the Seahawks are doing so well. I just hope the Broncos lose and the Chiefs...they are doing surprisingly well. Anyways...I was hoping ASU would do better as well. I honestly wasn't expecting them to win, but of course I was hoping for the upset. It seems like they don't have a half bad team this year though. I am excited to see how the rest of the season turns out for them. No fun with the blow out, but good to hear that you are doing fine. Tires are expensive. We had to get the tires replaced on the truck the other Elders have a few weeks back. The church spends alot of monies on us. It is good to hear that the weight loss is going well. Keep it up. :) I love and miss ya Dad. Have another good week!

Mom- I am glad you have had yet again, another good busy week. I was reading my scriptures this week and I read 1 Nephi 2:3. Nephi is talking about his dad and then it made me think of 1 Nephi 3:7. Nephi was born of goodly parents and he followed their examples. I want to just take the time to thank you and Dad for the examples you have set for me. You always are telling me what an amazing son and missionary I am, but I couldn't have done it without you two there supporting me. I am truly blessed. Also thank you for those quotes. I believe those. Vince Lombardi is awesome. Some of the most important lessons I have learned have been through football. Thank you for allowing me to participate in that. I love you Mom. Have an awesome week!

Jeri Lin- I am sure the paychecks make all that work and whatnot at least a little bit more worth it. I know that was the case for me while working at Home Depot and I wasn't making nearly as much as you are. I am glad Tony is working with BYU-I do. He will get better at it, I am sure. Just like anything else :) My talk went pretty well in my opinion. I am glad yours went pretty well too. Life is good for me. I love ya Sis! Stay happy. Have a good, busy week! Love ya :)

Let everyone know I love and miss 'em!

Love,
Elder Bryton Dane Fink.....I mean Shinkle ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment