Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dear Sister April 15, 2013

April 15, 2013
Dear Jeri Lin,

I love you so much too! Thank you for the example that you set for me. It really means a lot. You truly are one of my very best friends too. In fact, I have been talking about that a lot lately. When we have dinner at families homes, we share a spiritual thought. My thought the past couple months has been on the importance of families. I share the scripture Alma 43:47. I also share with them the book that you made for me and sent to me for Christmas. So thank you for that. They all seem to enjoy it as much as I do :) Speaking of books, I was wondering if you would be able to make any more of those for me? Like could you make one for each area that I am in? I know that they cost money, but I just thought it would be kind of cool :)

As far as reading my patriarchal blessing, it has been a little while since that last time I read it, but I do think of it often. One part that really sticks out to me is where it says that I will have a big effect on the youth of the church. For the longest time I thought that one day I would be called as a Young Mens President or something at some point in my life. It means something else to me out here though. As you may already know, we play basketball on Fridays and football every Monday. And of course we invite all the youth to join us. We have a really fun time, and I have developed a really good relationship with a lot of the youth because of this. They can see that I am a missionary, but I am still a teenage boy. A normal guy. The other day, I ran into Brother Jimenez while he was walking his dog and he said, "Hey, Danny tells me you are a pretty good football. That is a lot coming from him. He doesn't offer compliments often". And according to Isaac Terrases I am a "baller". The stats here may not always be where we like them to be. It is ok though, because I still feel like I am making a difference here. Some of the best missionary work is just being an example. And that is why I love it here, I don't get super discouraged. I love the people and we have a lot of fun.

I hope that you guys can figure out what will be the best for you and your family. You guys are always in my prayers. Especially Hyrum, I am glad to hear that you are teaching him well. Especially how to pray. I think that is something that we take for granted sometimes. It is one of the things I have the biggest testimony in though. Prayers really do get answered.. I know that. I can see it every day.

I actually read 2 Nephi 32 this past week. It is a good one :) Heavenly Father really does have a plan for us. Everything happens for a reason. I can see that more so than ever out here in Sparks. When I read my mission call, I will be honest with you, I wasnt as excited as I thought I would be. I know that this is where I am supposed to be though. I can see that just with all the people I have met. I love it.

I love and miss ya big sis. You are the best older sis I could ever ask for. Stay awesome!

Love your brother,

Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle

A couple of pictures with my friend Austin...



 And the milk challenge...


No comments:

Post a Comment