Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Missionary Life August 25, 2014

August 25, 2014

Missionary life. What can I say about it? It has been exactly what I needed. I was reflecting on it last night after a lesson we had in which the Assistants to President passed off one of their investigators to us who they felt would benefit from us teaching her. One of the assistants and I were just talking about how great the mission has been up to this point. It is definitely a blessing. One of the things he said was, how foolish it is and would have been to think about possibly not going and taking these two years to learn, progress, and experience miracles. The time is getting shorter and shorter for me. I had a realization this week as to why I am with the companion I have at this point in my mission. His focus and dedication is incredible, which in turn helps me. There is no room for any trunkyness. Too much to get done. Too many hills to ride my bike up. Too many people to talk too. I am grateful for a companion who continues to work hard and strives to improve each and every day.

When we are on the same page, it helps the work increase dramatically and the effectiveness goes up. Then that is the time that we are able to see miracles. There is a little miracle that I would just like to share that I experienced this week. In our companionship studies we are encouraged to role play and practice teaching situations. In all honesty, I hate them. However, I do know the purpose behind them, and they do work. I know that, because I experienced it. A few days ago we were practicing street contacting in our role play and the situation I was presented with was that the man I was talking to had a concern about getting a job. I brought it back to the fact that our Heavenly Father truly does love us, and that he wants to help us. Sometimes, all we have to do is ask through prayer. It was a pretty good role play. Now, fast forward to that night. We were biking up, the biggest hill in our area, and as I get to the top, I see a man, sitting on the sidewalk. I ride over to him and just start talking with him. Then I hop off my bike and my companion and I just start talking with him. He is a super nice guy, which is always a plus. As we talked though, he brought up a similar type of concern as to the one that we had role played for. I was prepared and the spirit was definitely there. It was an awesome experience for myself. In Doctrine and Covenants 11:21 it says "Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men." I know that is true, because I experienced it this week. I hope the man we talked to was able to feel what I felt. We had to send him off as referral, so I am hoping for the best :)

So yeah, I have had some more good experiences this week. The work continues to progress. Now we just gotta help these people we are working with to commit to a baptismal date. Hopefully we can have some of those in the coming week. I really can't complain though. Missionary life. It is great.

Dad- You are a lucky guy. Haha I miss football. Those sound like some good plans though. I will be looking forward to whatever comes. Keep me posted for sure :) I have definitely become more acclimated with the area. My companion thinks I know it better than him, and he has been here for like 8 months. I also have spent most of my mission in the Reno/Sparks area though, so I know the streets pretty well at this point. Not perfectly, but well enough to know what I am doing and to give people some decent directions :) I am glad that you are getting by at work and that you are also staying busy. I still hope and pray that you can get those positions filled as well. I hope you have another good week! I love and miss you! :)

Mom- Thank you for sending that letter and for the key chain. I like it lots :) On your letters though, you wrote apartment 1625, it is actually 1615. Just for future reference. They still got to me. :) I am glad that you are looking forward to Luna. You will have to be sure to let me know how it all goes this weekend. I am glad you are still doing well and that you were able to receive some awards at work. Keep working hard, but more importantly, work smart. :) I love ya and miss ya Mom. I hope you have a good week! Tell everyone hi for me in Luna!

Jeri Lin- First of all, thanks for all you do to help me out. You are awesome :) Second, of all it seems like you always have some pretty busy, fun filled weeks. It is always fun to hear about what you and the kiddos are up to :) I have to tell you that I think scripture study in the morning is the best. it is definitely a habit that I have built on my mission that I want to continue after. Just gotta know what works for you :) I am glad you are doing well and are enjoying your calling with serving your sunbeams. Keep it up! I love ya and miss ya! :)

Keila- How many days is it?? Haha :) i love ya and miss ya. Hope you have a great week! :)

Syd- Good job on making the swim team, that is way awesome! :) Keep me posted on how it all goes. :) I am glad you are enjoying school so far. I am also glad to hear that you had a good day with Hailey. Did she do a good job with your hair?? :) She is pretty awesome, and I am glad you think so as well :) I hope you have another good week and that you have fun in Luna. I love and miss you :)

Leslie- Thanks for your letter! I am doing my best to get one sent your way as soon as possible :) I love you and miss you! Have a good week :)

Brooke- Mom tells me that you are pretty cool. I am glad you are cool. We can be cool pals when I get home :) I love and miss you! Have a good week!

Hayden- Man, I miss you :) I am so lucky to have you as my brother. Have a good week! I love ya and miss you!

Well it is the last week of August. Make the most of it!

I love and miss you all!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment