Friday, August 22, 2014

Improvement August 18, 2014

August 18, 2014

I knew it would come, but it was a relief to have it come this week. Improvement and relief. I know I couldn't have been able to do it one my own though. The Spark came last week in Sacrament meeting when one of the return missionaries of the stake came and shared some of her experiences from her mission. One of them was which was a story about a companion of hers that she was having a little bit of a tough time with. I felt like she was speaking directly to me. Then the emails I received last Monday helped me out. And then just little things here and there throughout the week. Whether it was something another missionary said, reflection on past experiences, a letter with scriptures to look up, and letters I got from you all at the beginning of my mission. All of it played a part in helping me overcome the transfer blues.

One of the things I forgot to mention though is that just working and forgetting myself helped a ton. One experience I had to serve my companion came when he was experiencing some bike troubles and I just put my stuff down and helped him fix it up. He thanked me and said that he wasn't much of a bike person...I told him, neither am I, but I have had to become one since I have had to deal with them for about two years now. It was a good unity building experience. Anyway, this week, we taught two more lessons than we taught last week, we had one more person attend church, we found four new investigators who seem pretty promising. There was just a lot of good that came about this week, and we are looking to keep moving in an upward trend in the coming week.

I don't really have any crazy stories this week...The suburbs are a lot more mellow than the downtown area was haha. I did get my first flat tire. That is always frustrating. The nice thing about here though is that people are all pretty normal. Not many crazies. Just lots of people that speak Spanish, so that makes it a little more difficult, but I am glad to be here working with the people we have to work with. I am still trying to get to know them all to the best of my ability and build good, solid relationships with all those here. Members and non-members. So far so good I believe :)

One thing that I have really come to know this week is just how important prayer is in our conversion to this Gospel and how blessed I am to know that my Heavenly Father loves me. Prayer is a great relationship builder, and I believe has played a key part in helping me see the improvement this week. The Bible Dictionary states, "Complete conversion comes after many trials and much testing". I have come to know that prayer helps us through those "many trials and much testing". Hence prayer is a key in conversion. In True to the Faith it says, "If you don't feel like praying, pray until you feel like praying". I love that. I invite you all to continue praying. It really works and our Heavenly Father does hear and answer us. It is a small thing that makes and incredible differences in peoples lives. I see it time and time again :)

Well, speaking of prayer, I also had to give the opening one in Sacrament meeting yesterday. Just in case you wanted to know. Other than that though...I don't think I have much else to tell ya. Other than that I love and miss ya all!! Have a good week :)

Dad- Well shucks. I am looking forward to the real deal though. Then we can talk ;) Well to answer your question about the tough mudder, I don't want to do it if it is gonna be super pricey. I don't think I would have a problem with the physical part of it though...now I am getting arrogant. Haha. Maybe in a year when I will be able to pay for myself?? Your call. That is a pretty crazy week. Hope everything goes well today as well as for the rest of the week. Thanks for the short note! I appreciate all you do Dad. Keep up the good work you do. You make a difference whether you notice it or not. I love ya and miss ya! :)

Mom- Thank you for your short note as well. Your bumper sticker is pretty cool by the way :) It is good to hear that you had a pretty good week. Even if it was busy busy. I am glad to hear that the girls are doing there best and sticking out hard things. I can tell them that it is worth it. Every little bit. :) There is no replacement for good ol' hard work. I appreciate you and Dad teaching us kids that :) I hope that you get a bit more sleep this week and that it is another good one. I love and miss you Mom :)

Jeri Lin- I am happy to report that I did receive Hyrum's letter, and it was a pleasant surprise :) Tell him thank you for me. I am glad to hear that he is doing well, and that you and the rest of your little family is doing well. Thank you for all you do for me and for all the love and support you share. Just know that I love and support your little family as well. :) I hope you have a good week!! :) I miss ya!

Keila- Miss ya Wei. Have a good week :)

Sydney- You are definitely in my prayers for swim. Work hard. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Just remember that. Coaches notice effort. Just give it all you can. It will all work out how it needs to in the end :) I am glad that you are helping out Hailey and that your two get along so well :) I will be looking for your letter. Thank you so much. I love ya and miss ya Syd. Have a good week :)

Leslie- I will be looking for your letter this week! Also, keep up the good work in swim. I am looking forward to hearing all about it. :) Have a good week! I love and miss ya Sles. :)

Brooke- I hope school is going well. I love ya and miss ya :)

Hayden- Has football started yet? Are you liking school? I love ya man and miss ya :)

Well I guess I will close it there. I love you all!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment