Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Come What May and Love It January 6, 2014

January 6, 2014
"Come What May and Love it" --Joseph B. Wirthlin

This comment or quote has been something I have tried to live by since the day it was said in General Conference a few years ago. At times it is easier to live by than others. For some reason. it continued to come back to me time and time again.

On Thursday night, Elder Anderson and I planned to meet with Brenda. Just to make sure everything was still good for Saturday and whatnot. As soon as she opened the door I could tell something was up. She wasn't her happy witty self like normal. She invites us in, we sit down. She starts talking with Travis and just starts to lose it. Oh dear. She is having a rough week...well mostly a rough day. Just one thing after another. We change up our lesson plans up a little bit at that point, while she is still talking with Travis. We decide to watch the Mormon Messages "Come What May, and Love It" and "Hope Ya Know, We Had a Hard Time". Perfect. I then go on to explain to her that you know we are gonna have trials, Satan is gonna try to get to us when we are doing what we are supposed to, but we have the Atonement and someone who understands. While I was explaining this, Brenda stops me and says, "You're Right!". Uhh...what?? Brenda is saying I am right and not giving me some witty remark? Cool. Haha. But she went on to explain that one of the Sisters in the ward had sat next to her in relief society the previous Sunday and told her that she was special and that this week would be very tough as she came closer to her day of baptism. All I have to say is that the baptism probably would not have happened if it weren't for the Spirit and the help from the ward. With God, all things are possible. That brings us to the baptism.

The Wilkie Family was baptized on January 4th. It was a very happy day and I have pictures to prove it. :) I mean it could be seen when Connor and I got up to go into the font. He sprinted his way there and I was honestly surprised he remembered to take off his glasses. Brenda later told us in her testimony the next day that the Baptism was a miracle because Connor woke up at 6:30. Showered. Brushed his teeth (Which Brenda says is a miracle in and of itself). And was all dressed and ready to go get baptized by 7 am. Haha. It really was great to help them all the way through and help them enter into their first covenant. Then on Sunday I was also able to confirm Brittany. That was a first time experience for me. It was very cool. :) I am glad I am part of that memory in their lives. They are lifelong friends for sure.

So at this point, my week could not be going any better. I also get news that my Chargers won their playoff game. Woo! Life is great. The transfer calls were still lingering in the distance though and my nerves were killing me. They came, and to say I was excited them would be a lie. I normally hate change, but I think I was really looking forward and hoping for some this time. It didn't come. I will be here in Spring Creek 5th ward for another six weeks and my companion is still Elder Anderson. I love the kid, don't you get me wrong. I felt like enough was enough though. My patience has been tested. Why?? The first transfer call I have truly questioned. I have been pondering on it from the time it came. And my thoughts keep coming back to, "Come What May, and Love It". So that is exactly what I am gonna do. I am gonna do the very best I can to make the very most of the next six weeks. "It doesn't matter where you serve, but how". Obviously I still have something to do and/or learn. :)

Dad- Well I think I have kinda already touched on a lot of what you said in your email. I want to make the comment that it is so true that it is important for recent converts have a friend. I must say that it is one of the best feelings just to hear how well converts are doing. It is also good to see how well YOU are doing! That is way awesome :) I am looking forward to returning home this year as well. Almost 11 months to go. Keep up the good work. Love ya Dad. Have another good week!

Mom- Thank you for your email and testimony. :) I dunno if you got my letter yet or not but if not, it should be there soon. I hope you have a great week and figure out your new kindle :) I love ya Mom!

Jeri Lin- Don't stress too hard about writing me. I know you are busy. Short little updates are good and in about 11 months, we will be able to get all caught up :) I love an miss ya! Have a good week :)

I love and miss you guys! Have an awesome week!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle

 One of my best friends :)

 Cute new p-day outfit.

 The Wilkie Baptism



No comments:

Post a Comment