Thursday, July 10, 2014

July 7, 2014

July 7, 2014

This week has been a good one. I am grateful that I am serving in a state in a country that has so many freedoms. I am grateful for the opportunity that it gives me to be able to openly share my testimony with others. Especially those here in the downtown area of Reno and surrounding areas. Whether they be people who are not members of the church, members of the church, and even other missionaries. I am also grateful that they all have the same privilege as well. It is a privilege to be able to continue to learn and grow each and every day. Even though it is a little bit tough at times.

In this area, I feel as if my ability to be diligent is tested time and time again. I know I may have mentioned this before, but I have come to a realization that Heavenly Father truly is aware of the efforts that we do put into this work. I know that because Elder Reynolds will spend hours and hours doing our absolute best to find as we teach and teach as we find with no apparent success, but soon enough things will just fall into our laps. Those little bits of success are what carry me through. Along with the blessings that I know come from hard work. In our apartment, there is a magnet on our front door that says "Good things don't come to those that wait, Good things come to those who work their butt off". It doesn't get any more true than that :)

Good things include funny stories. I always ask the sisters in the District for funny stories every Sunday night when I call them. I will share a few more of mine that I had this week with you. The two that I have to share both happened yesterday actually. The first being that we were waiting for one of our investigators outside of her apartment and a guy walked up to us. We started talking with him...he seemed pretty interested. He asked if he could join us, which we agreed to of course. Come to find out that all he was interested in was arguing. The arguments he had brought up, I have heard like 100 times already. Our investigator, Jacklynn, was telling him that he was being a real jerk the whole time. It was funny. Then he ended it by "rebuking" us. We just bore our testimony and kinda left it at that. The people that argue with us pretty much have the same exact script. It is like they go to school and memorize a bunch of scriptures just to try and disprove anything we say. The Church is still true :)

The next story is a little bit funnier. We were walking and came across a couple of drunk people again. One, was like, "Elders! Where have you been??". Uhh...neither of us knew him. So we decided to talk with him. Shortly after we started a conversation with him, his friend came over and started talking to me. At this point we are having two separate conversations. As I am talking to this guy, he just randomly is like..."Do you want to fist fight me?" No thanks man. He keeps trying to egg me on...saying that he can take me down in 2 minutes. I just kept joking around with him, and eventually he dropped the desire to fight. It was just kinda funny to me. People are crazy :)

Those are my crazy/funny stories for the week. We are continuing to find opportunities to serve and teach the people down here. We were able to find a couple new investigators this past week and we were able to set one with a baptismal date. Now it is just a matter of keeping them on the right course. That is the true challenge. We are looking forward to another good week and I don't have much to complain about. I am enjoying the responsibilities I have :)

Dad- Well I am glad to hear that I could help out a little bit with my last letter. :) It is about time Kevin gets married, my goodness ;) That is crazy that Alexa is already coming home...it was weird for me to see the Sister that came out with me go home last transfer. Darn sisters ;) Don't worry about me though, I am doing my absolute best in finishing strong :) Still got a little ways to go though! You lucky guy...driving all those cars. I hope you do find something that does work with that Challenger. That would be a dream come true for you. Is it manual? And was the Mini Manual? I didn't do much for the 4th either though. We went out and worked most of the day and then went and had dinner, and then drove to the temple grounds to watch all the fireworks going on in Reno and Sparks. We waited and waited...because they wanted the wind to die down. So we finally decided to just head home...and then they started a few minutes after we left. Oh well. It is what it is :) I wish I could have been there for the haboob, but oh well. Thanks for all you do Dad. I love and miss ya. Have a good week! :)

Mom- Well I got the picture of Brooke, thank you! I also was able to read the texts you sent to Sister Hagler. Thank you. I love and miss ya Mom. I hope you are staying healthy and happy amongst your busy schedule. You are an amazing Mom :)

Jeri Lin- I agree with you in the fact that busy weeks are nice. I used to hate them, but have come to love them. It does feel good when we accomplish goals and I am glad you were able to do that this week :) I am also glad to hear that you are having lots of fun there in Texas. Keep it up and keep me posted! Also, thank you for sharing that miracle story. Pretty neat :) We each have had our testimony strengthened of the fact that Heavenly Father is aware of each of us. :) You and your little family are always in my prayers. I love and miss ya! Have another successful week! :)

Keila- Congrats on your new oven car! ;) haha I hope you are doing well. Love ya and miss ya! Have a good week :)

Sydney- Thank you for your email, it is so good to hear that you are doing well in Spokane. My good friend Keaton is on his mission there :) That is a cool experience you shared with reading the scriptures. It reminded of the experience the Stripling Warriors had with listening to their mothers. Keep being awesome Syd, and have a good week. :) I love and miss ya!

Leslie- I check the mail everyday looking for your letter! Hope to see it soon. I love and miss ya Sles! Have a good week :)

Brooke-Good job with your Synchro swimming! I love and miss ya! Keep up the good work :)

Hayden- You are the best brother :) Have a good week! I love and miss ya man! :)

Well that is all I have for now. I love and miss you all! Have a good week!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment