Monday, July 28, 2014

Downtown Life July 21, 2014

July 21, 2014

My missionary life is just not letting up in going quickly. We are already in week five of this transfer and I have been in this area for nearly six months now. I have come to know just about everyone on the downtown streets. It doesn't stop us from having some interesting experiences though. The crazy story for this week was getting offered a lap dance by a lady on the street. I told her that I would have to pass on that. It amazes me what people will try to do when they see that you are a missionary. They sure do keep life interesting. Even amongst all the craziness though, we are still able to have some good This week was another one full of teaching and learning experiences. On Thursday, my District and I had a special training with President and Sister Hermansen. It was a training based on a talk that was given by a former mission president, and it is titled, "The Fourth Missionary". It is a great talk, and the things that were discussed were very helpful. A lot of it was about putting our whole heart completely into this work. While we were discussing it, I kept thinking back to the football team we had my sophomore year. We kicked trash. The reason being that we worked as a team and I feel like we surrendered ourselves for the team. We were happy and successful. So, in these last few months, that is my goal. To more fully rely on what Heavenly Father would have me do and not necessarily what I want to do. Which means being better today than I was yesterday. :)

Like I mentioned before, we also had lots of opportunities to teach this week as well. One of the coolest was probably yesterday. On Saturday, we got a call from a lady in our ward. She is dating a non member and he is getting ready to go back to school. She explained to him that she used to get blessings from her dad before she would go back to school. He asked her if there was any way he could get one. So yesterday between the second and third hours of church we were able to teach him about and give him a blessing. The spirit was definitely there and the smile on his face made that apparent. We are hoping to start teaching him some more in the near future. That experience was a good seed planted.

Let's see...what else. I went on exchanges this week with the zone leaders. I was in their area with Elder Reeder. We had a real good time. He has been out just a few months more than me and we had a good time reflecting on all our crazy missionary experiences that we have had up to this point. I also realized that I am one of the oldest as far as missionary life goes in my zone. I think there is only like 4 other missionaries ahead of me. That just blows my mind...I remember being one of the youngest and looking up to all of the ones who were out as long as I have been out now. I am trying to be the best example I can be. After all, that is all I can really do for my District anyways, because I don't have the opportunity to go on exchanges with the Sisters.

Other than that, we had three people at church and broke our companionship record with total number of lessons taught in a single week. It was a busy, successful week. I feel as if my time here is coming short. I think the next transfer has a new area in store for me. We will see though. Gonna finish the last two weeks of this transfer strong. :)

Dad- I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new car, even if it is dirty due to the monsoons. Oh well :) The pictures on the blog...haha. You are right. Every once and a while there is a good one...most of the time they aren't too good. Especially the most recent ones. :P Speaking of working out, would you be willing to be my coach when I get home, to push me to get in shape for football? Have our own training camp. :) Speaking of Manziel...I saw a shirt that said, "Money Manziel" yesterday...I almost barfed in my mouth. Oh well. We will have to see what football season brings :) Thanks for all you do Dad. Have a great week! I love and miss ya :)

Mom- I still haven't got anything from ya, but I will be on for a little bit. :) I sure do love and miss ya. I hope you have a good week and I hope you have another good week this week :)

Jeri Lin- Well I am happy to hear that you have had a good week as well. Complete with feeding the missionaries. :) So, will you be there when I get home then? Or would that be the week after? I am excited to see you as well. It is going to be a real good time :) Stay awesome Sis. :) I love and miss ya! :)

Keila- Well your car looks good. :) Do you have a soccer mom sticker on the back?? ;) Just kidding. It looks a lot better than my car ;) I am glad to see that you are doing well. I sure do love and miss ya, and I hope you have a good week :)

Sydney- I didn't get anything from ya this week! I hope you are doing well in Washington. You will have to be sure to let me know how things are going :) I love and miss ya Syd! Have a good week :)

Leslie- I got your letter this week, and I will be sending one your way shortly :) Thank you for that. It is always nice to find mail in the mailbox :) I hope you have a good week! I love and miss you :)

Brooke- I hope you are still doing good! I love and miss you :)

Hayden- Hey little man! Hope summer is going good still! I love ya man :)

Well that is all I got for now. I sure do love and miss you all. Hope life is treating you well. :)

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment