Monday, May 19, 2014

Just in Time With 3 Minutes to Spare May 19, 2014

May 19, 2014
"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." Alma 37:6

My testimony of the truthfulness of that scripture continues to grow each and every week. A majority of the week goes by it feels like I haven't been able to do as much as I would like. Then Sunday comes and we reflect on the week and just see how much good we have actually been able to accomplish. I recognize the miracles that have taken place. I would like to share one of those miracles with you. It is actually where the title of this email comes from.

I believe I have told a majority of you, if not all of you, about Kimberly. Well this past week has been a rough one for her and which made it a little rough on her. She has been dealing with not so good of people just coming into her home and basically taking over. This meant that we needed to stay clear of the home just for our own safety. We were really bummed though, because we wanted to help her, but there was no way we really could. It was frustrating. I honestly began to think we had lost her. Then, on Saturday we got a call from her neighbor saying that Kimberly was not doing too well and all she wanted was for us to come over. We got there as soon as we could. Talked with her a bit and invited her to a BBQ that we were going to have at one of the members homes. There she was able to relax and was able to make new friends and we had a good gospel conversation about faith. So now fast forward to Sunday. We attempt to pick her up for church, but no answer. Darn it. We decided that we would just stop by sometime after church to make sure she was doing alright. So now it is after church, we just finished eating some lunch, and we are out making our way towards Kimberly`s house. We stopped and talked with a few people. Then we knock on the door of Kimberly`s house. She opens the door in total shock and says, I just had a talk with God and he answered! 7 minutes before we arrived, Kimberly took an act of faith like we had discussed the night before and asked if the Book of Mormon was true. She told Heavenly Father, "if this is all true, you will send the missionaries to me in the next 5-10 minutes". Well we were just in time with 3 minutes to spare. It not only strengthened her testimony, but it strengthened mine as well.

Yesterday at church, we attended the priest quorum during the third hour. There was an awesome lesson given. The talk that was shared was, "Lord, I Believe" that was given by Jeffrey R. Holland a few conferences ago. This week I had been feeling like the man who brought his son to Jesus. "...but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us." Mark 9:22 In fact, I feel like that is what my prayers sounded like. We spent hours trying to find and teach new people. I can tell you that he answered my prayers. I know that he can answer yours. No matter what you may be dealing with right now. He wants to help I know that. Dad, I know he wants to help you through your trials right now. Mom, I know he helped you hike through the canyon with Sherra. Jeri Lin, I know that he can help comfort you and help you through your own calling. Even if you just have a desire to believe that. I highly encourage going and listening or reading that talk. I know that everything does happen for a reason and in the end it will all work out. We just got to do our part and the Lord will make up for the rest. He will help our unbelief. Keep your heads up :)

Dad- Well as far as the District Leader thing goes. So far so good. I have some cool sisters to work with, so it should hopefully continue to be that way. I just had to call them all last night to see how they were doing and see if they needed supplies. Then I have to prepare to teach them all on Wednesday during District Meeting. I was thinking I was gonna get out of it, because it is normally held on Tuesdays and Tuesday is Zone Conference, but they just moved it a day back. That really is a bummer about John. I was really looking forward to possibly working with him and you, but it's like you and I will just have to get me ready for football :) Not a bad thing at all. I want you to know that you are always in my prayers and I hope things work out well. I also hope you have a good time in Vegas. This is a lovely state :) My second home for sure. I love and miss ya Dad. Have a great week!

Mom- I have to thank you for sharing that story with me and for the pictures as well. I had my prayers asking that you and Sherra would be protected on you hike and that you would have the guidance and help as needed. So that was even an answer to my prayers. Thank you for all that you do as my Mom. I sure do love and miss you. Have a great week! :)

Jeri Lin- Honestly, when I read your email, it kinda made me think of you as a missionary. The whole homesickness, self pity stuff. The best way to get rid of it is just, get busy! Don't overwhelm yourself, but go about doing good. I think the feelings you have are similar to the ones I receive after a transfer (luckily, that hasn't happened to often). I know you will be alright. Just keep being the awesome Mom and Sister that you are! I love and miss you! Have a good week!

Keila- Graduation! Crazy! Have a good week. Finish Strong. I love and miss you :)

Sydney- Love and miss ya! Have a good week!

Leslie- Love and miss ya! Have a good week! I am happy for your new eye! :)

I love and miss you all!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle


No comments:

Post a Comment