Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Where to start?? February 24, 2014

February 24, 2014
Wow. This week has sure been a crazy one, I can definitely say that. Saying goodbyes, cramming stuff into suitcases, riding about 4ish hours. Getting to the appartment and immediately leaving again to go teach. Street contacting, getting offered weed, everything you can ever think of...it has probably happened to me this week haha. It is awesome here in the downtown with Elder Young from Pennsylvania. All the areas I have had, (ONLY 3, I KNOW) are so unique and present their own sort of challenges. This area, we have absolutely no problem staying busy really, we have to just walk out our door and just start talking with people. And we talk to all sorts of people. The other day, some guy came up to me, while Elder Young and I were talking with some people and was telling me to leave the church and had all kinds of crazy reasons why. I Love IT! Haha...walking up to groups of people and just seeing the looks on their faces when you start talking to them. Classic. For real though, once I get this area down...Time is going to fly. It sure has taken some adjustment. I am now trying to have a love for being busy ALL THE TIME. I like to have my rest and relaxation time, and there really isn't that much of it here in Reno. It is always go, go, go. So that is kinda my goal this transfer, to work on the Christlike attribute of diligence. Working hard even when I am tired. I think so far, so good though. I am enjoying the city lifestyle again :)

Anyways, like I was saying, this area, even though we are busy, it presents a whole lot of different challenges. The challenge is to actually keep investigators. We get quite a few new ones, but it is somewhat tough to keep them. So..I guess that is one of our focusses. I also noticed yesterday that church, it is kinda tough to get the investigators to come to church, so hopefully we can make some improvement in that category.

I have already had some amazing experiences though. I couldn't tell you all the names of the people, but there have been multiple spiritual experiences that I have had just praying with people on the busy downtown streets of Reno. Multiple times, people will say I feel something so warm with you guys. One specific experience comes to mind, and it was an experience we had with a man by the name of Thomas. We were headed home after a few fallen through appointments and a night of street contacting, and we were walking by a house and Thomas walks out to smoke. Elder Young had spoken with him before, but we get to talking to him again. Eventually it turns to the gospel. We have a good conversation and we ask if it is alright if we leave with a prayer. I was asked to say the prayer, and so I did. After that prayer, Thomas looked me in the eyes and said something like, "Wow. You know, I have had a lot of people pray with me before...but the Holy Spirit is so strong with you guys.". That was so comforting to me. My eyes got a little wet as we were walking away.

Another cool experience happened as Elder Young and I were walking past a park and saw like three guys playing basketball. We started talking to them, and the next thing I knew, Elder Young was volunteering me to play one of the kids 1-on-1. First to 5. If I won, the three of them had to come to church. I dunno what the other end of the deal was, but it wasn't looking like they were gonna be coming to church. I was down like..3-1 I think. None of my shots were falling. Then I had a comeback and won. All while wearing a white shirt and tie. I have to say that the final shot was...Sweet. Best game winning shot I have ever hit :) So cool experience right? Well the kid that I played isn't allowed to come, which is a bummer. However, I think the seed was planted and the two other friends are definitely potentials. It was just a really cool experience all in all though :)

Other than that...I dunno. We have a few pretty great Investigators. Mario,Jenny, Jennifer, Glen, Nancy. Then we have tons of potentials. I am staying busy just trying to learn everyone and trying to get used to the area. I am loving it though.

Dad- Well, I think and I hope I answered just about all your questions in that. It sounds to me like you are doing pretty well. I really hope that the workout stuff starts working again. You need that, it is so good for you. Just keep trying. :) Once again, you are always in my prayers. I love and miss ya Dad. Have an awesome week! Especially with the temple dedication. Enjoy that for me and let me know how it goes :) I love and miss ya Dad. Like...a lot.

Mom- Well it sounds like you had both a good week, and a somewhat sad week. I will have to tell you that mine has been the same though. It seems like you are doing well altogether though. Mom, you are always in my prayers. I love and miss you. Tons!

Jeri Lin- Thanks for the updates as always :) I dunno what else to add other than the fact that I hope those connections that Tony made develop some good fruit. That is something I always specifically pray for for you two. I love and miss ya Sis! Have another grand week! :)

Pictures will be there shortly!

Love you all!

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)










No comments:

Post a Comment