Thursday, March 7, 2013

Juan's Baptism

March 4, 2013
Dad,

Well this week has been nice and busy to say the least. I say we put in at least...20 hours of service or so. Helping a brother in a ward right next to us. We had to move engine blocks, transmissions, and pretty much every kind of car part you could ever imagine. It was fun. We had two other sets of elders helping out. One, Elder Stene, has been out for quite a while. He is from Texas and he used to work at Home Depot as a Lot guy. So we have gotten pretty close...sharing stories and what not. We also both really enjoy football and we have been playing every week on pday. It is a blast, and a freaking good workout.

We also got the opprtunity to teach seminary on Thursday morning. That was fun...except for the part of waking up at 4:30 in the morning. I respect those kids. We had a really good time.

And then we had all the preparation for the baptism this week as well on top of all that. It was so good though. I designed the whole program...drew the artwork and everything. I will send you a copy of it sometime. But then I also had the opportunity to give a talk at the baptism as well as conduct the whole thing. It went well. Elder Hayes did slip as he was getting in the font though. Haha. It was pretty funny. The whole thing was fantastic though. It was very well attended and everything. And Juan, couldn't be happier. His parents attended as well. I think that was really good for them. I think it even has caused them to be interested a little more in the gospel as well...so we will see what happens with that.

I am glad to hear that everything is going well though. And it sounds like you guys have a lot of pretty fun things that are coming up! I think that it is awesome that Bro. Peel is a bishop now. He is a cool guy.

Elder Hayes and I went up with Juan yesterday and bore our testimonies after he had received the gift of the Holy Ghost and everything. It was so good. I will just kinda share what I said. The night before, the night after his baptism, I was writing in my journal. It kind of game me time to think and reflect. Especially after such a busy week. As I was thinking, I was thinking of what a blessing baptism really is. It is the one thing that allows us to take full advantage of the Atonement. And of course...I thought of some song lyrics...and of course they are from Miss Taylor Swift herself. In one of her songs, she says "Lost your balance on a tight rope, It's never to late to get it back". How true that is...We have the sacrament every week that allows us to regain that balance once again on the tightrope called life. No matter what we have done, the Saviour will be there to help us along. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love and miss you!

Love,

Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle







No comments:

Post a Comment