Friday, February 22, 2013

Dear Dad February 18, 2013

February 18, 2013
Dear Dad,

I figured out the whole thing about the address after I had sent that last email, once I checked my email from president. It will be nice to have mail sent directly to us. But it will stink if we get transferred and there is mail on the way to our previous address. So there is both positives and negatives.

The new apartment is good. We are still trying to clean up and organize a little bit more though.I enjoy it though. I feel as if Elder Hayes and I have bonded more in the past week...because we are the only ones we have to talk to. So it is good. But it can be really quiet at times in comparison. Which isn't really a bad thing. I am planning on continuing to keep in touch with Elder Chatterton and Elder Prescott though. I really love those guys.

SO here is the explanation about Burger King. Is there anything closer? A grocery store and Subway. Which we go to quite a bit. So we wanted something else. As far as riding bikes...I want to. But Elder Hayes' bike has been having issues...so we have been walking. Hopefully he will be fixing his bike soon...but I don't think he like riding very much...so...we walk. Not my first choice...but as long as we are working.

I think it is awesome that they changed the youth curriculum. I feel as if it is a lot like how the missionary system works. It is all about teaching people not lessons. So, like you said, just earn their trust and they will be even more interested. Serve them. Get to know each of them as an individual. Some will be receptive and others will not. Just like in missionary work. All that matters is that you are doing your best. Elder Hayes and I were in charge of all the young men yesterday. None of the leaders were there, so they put us in charge of the deacons, teachers, and priests. It was fun. We had a really good lesson. I love working with youth.

I did hear about Duke. Brother Carter likes to keep me updated on things like that. I don't mind at all. I kind of want a bracket to fill out. Maybe you could send a blank one to me when the time comes? I hope they can pick it up before the Madness starts. But Jeri Lin told me that the beat NC, so that is good news.

As far as people dying. We have had a lot in our ward as well within the past few weeks as well. I had to give a prayer at a funeral for one of the young men's great grandma. It was a really small funeral. It was good though, because his family is all part member and less active. The cool thing is that his mom was the one that requested that Elder Hayes and I give the prayers. He is the only one that comes to church in his family. We are really earning trust in that family...and his older brother told bishop afterwards that he wants to closen his relationship with Heavenly Father. So hopefully we can start working with all of them more.

As for Juan, he has a date set. March 2nd. SO...hopefully everything goes through with that. He already has a great relationship with the youth, so we have been blessed in that aspect.

Dad, thank you very much for the email and the advice, stories, etc. I really love and miss you.

Love
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle

Sparky Facial Hair fearTHEfork!

No comments:

Post a Comment