Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Son of Man, Transfers, Baptism, and a big ol' Hot Air balloon

February 11, 2013
Dear Mom, Dad, and Jeri Lin,

Well I am just doing a mass email this week because I have a hair cut appointment with Sister Corbridge in a little bit. So just bear with me.

Dad, that is awesome that you get to teach the 17 year old Sunday school class. I would honestly kill for that calling. Being out on a mission has really helped me realize just how much I love the youth in the church. They are so much fun. I mean...I'm not that far off from youth age, but I have a blast with all the deacons, priests, etc. in the Highland Ranch ward.

Jeri Lin, being exhausted is a good thing. Sometimes it is hard to be able to get things done when you are tired...but that bed feels just that much better at the end of the day. So just keep working hard. I have noticed that you are blessed as long as you get out and work. Just this past week, Elder Hayes and I were out walking and making visits. It was about dinner time, and we didn't have a dinner scheduled that night, so we started the long 8 mile walk up to burger king. On our way there, a member of our ward pulled off and offered us a ride. He was taking one of his little boys to wrestling. After telling him to just drop us off at burger king, he gave us 20 bucks for dinner. That never would have happened if we had just decided to stay inside and not work. So just always get out and work your hardest even when you are exhausted. I thankful to have a mom that has been such a great example of that.

Mom, It is good to hear that everyone is doing well. As far as my adress, it is the same and it will always be the same throughout my mission. They just forward all of our stuff to whatever our address is at the time. It help prevent things from getting lost.

As for transfers, I will not be a six week trainer like everyone was trying to tell me I was going to do. Thank goodness. I am moving appartments though. Elder Hayes and I will now have a one bedroom appartment. No other elders will be living with us. My opinion of tranfers this time around is kind of stinky though. I am losing two of my very favorite elders in my district. Elder Prescott is being sent out to the Elko zone...which is like a 7 hour drive from here. Elder Chatterton is becoming a district leader of himself and his companion out in Lovelock. So...yeah...kinda crazy. But I know everything happens for a reason. So it is probably for the best.

Now to explain the Son of Man...you know the song from Tarzan. Well we were listening to is last night and I just couldn't help but apply the lyrics to my mission. So here are the lyrics.

Oh, the power to be strong
And the wisdom to be wise
All these things will
come to you in time
On this journey that you're making
There'll be answers that you'll seek
And it's you who'll climb the mountain
It's you who'll reach the peak

Son of Man, look to the sky
Lift your spirit, set it free
Some day you'll walk tall with pride
Son of Man, a man in time you'll be

Though there's no one there to guide you
No one to take your hand
But with faith and understanding
You will journey from boy to man

Son of Man, look to the sky
Lift your spirit, set it free
Some day you'll walk tall with pride
Son of Man, a man in time you'll be

In learning you will teach
And in teaching you will learn
You'll find your place beside the
ones you love
Oh, and all the things you dreamed of
The visions that you saw
Well, the time is drawing near now
It's yours to claim it all

Son of Man, look to the sky
Lift your spirit, set it free
Some day you'll walk tall with pride
Son of Man, a man in time you'll be

Son of Man
Son of Man's a man for all to see

Now...to explain the Hot Air balloon. Elder Hayes and I were on our way to chuch and we saw a hot air balloon taking off. Pretty cool. Now we got to church, set up the chairs and we just went outside to catch some fresh air. And what do you know...here comes the hot air balloon to land in the CHURCH Parking lot! like...What the Crap?! pretty cool though. We went and helped them put it down and then we invited them to come attend church. They politely declined...but hey you don't always get a missionary opportunity to drop in on you like that. I wish I could have gotten pictures, but I didn't bring my camera to church.

Now! the most exciting news. Juan's mother has given him permission to be baptized! We took him to a baptism that some of the other Elders were having on Saturday. It really got him even more excited...so we invited him once again to ask his mother. He said that he would Sunday night. So...We fasted for him and his mother all day Sunday. And we got a text from him last night saying that she had said he could. He said she wasn't super stoked about it...but it is probably the best decision he could make. We are meeting with him again Wednesday to talk and probably work out the details, set a date, etc. So yeah! Pretty exciting stuff!

I love and miss you all!
Here are a couple pictures!

Love
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle



No comments:

Post a Comment