Monday, November 24, 2014

No Excuses, No Regrets November 24, 2014

November 24, 2014

hope the title of this email doesn't have some copyright infringement. It is the title of the book about Eric Weddle. It describes this week...or a moment of this week so perfectly though. I am sure they will understand.

It. The Final day. Is approaching very very quickly. The feeling however is hitting me oh so slowly. The sensation is...unreal. I got a good talking to by President this week with a small group of us that are returning home very shortly. It was his, "don't get trunky" pep talk. It came just after my final interview and just before the beginning of a very long final zone conference. It was a good Zone Conference though. We discussed a lot about how we can increase our faith and the way we do that is just by pushing ourselves past the points where we think we will break. President showed us a clip from a football movie. I am almost positive that it was from Facing the Giants. Anyways, in the clip, the players were all sitting down after a practice and one of the players asked about how good they thought one of the other schools was that year, and one of the players said, "a lot tougher than us". (I am paraphrasing of course). The coach then told him to get up and he had the player promise him to give him his best while doing the "Death Crawl" blindfolded. The player thought he could only get to the 50. Long story short, he made it the full length of the field before his arms finally gave up on him. The point President was trying to make was that we all can do more than we think. We just have to put down the mental blocks we put up and push past the point of exhaustion. That is my goal for the final two weeks, and I have had a good week so far since doing my best to do that. I want to leave this area better than I found it and was given some great suggestions during the Zone Conference that are also helping me stay focussed. They also sang Happy Birthday to me at the end of the conference and I got a package of Peanut M&Ms. So I was happy :)

And yes, you read that right. I did have my final interview this week as well. Nothing too crazy. I was happy with the interview. Happy to know that I was never on the "worry list"...which means Santa may have to be good to me this year ;) Haha. Then I received some advice of things to do when I get home, but also some advice to not fear coming home. And at the end, President asked me, "do you have any regrets from your mission?". To which I confidently responded. "No Regrets Sir". Ok...I didnt say it like that. Haha I did say that I have no regrets though, and that I have been grateful for the experiences that I have had on my mission. It has been everything, but at the same time nothing like I expected it to be. If that makes any sense. And I expect these final two weeks to be just the same and I am gonna do everything that lies in my power to make it that way.

The Baptism of Gabby this coming Saturday is one of those ways in which I am trying to finish strong. We are excited for her. This week we have a few more things that we need to go over with her and then have the interview and then we will be good to go for Saturday. Things are just continuing to go well.

My final thought for today is that the key to living with no excuses and no regrets is by taking and using the Atonement in our lives. Do everything you can to go 100% each and every day. My football coaches used to always tell me that it is much better to make a mistake going full speed than at half speed. I have come to know that it is so true, and the Atonement will make up for those mistakes. I am grateful this week for this mission I am on. I am grateful for all that I have learned and experienced up to this point. I am grateful for Jesus Christ and the Atonement.

What are you grateful for this week?

Dad- Ok,so I am glad you enjoyed some good football this week. Seems like there was some real nail-biters. I like games like that. When I am on the winning end of course :) We will make it back New York one of these days for sure. As far as my Thanksgiving, Unfortunately...No Turkey bowl. We aren't allowed to play as missionaries and I do not believe our ward is even doing one as a majority of our ward is about in their 60's. We are allowed to have two dinners that day though and it looks like that will most likely be the plan.One with the Ross family in the afternoon. Supposedly there is supposed to be about 60 people there. They have lots of relatives here,including some family from my first area. Then we should have one that evening as well. I hope everything goes well for you all that day and that you are able to enjoy watching Kaepernick lose. Did I ever tell you that I just barely missed a chance of meeting him? If not,I will have to tell you another time. Not a very exciting story...but yeah. haha. Anyways, I will take you up on that challenge. I hope you do the same with things you have learned over the past year or even two and also the things you are grateful for :) I also hear from Juan weekly and I think that would be awesome if you could do that for him. What a blessing for sure. As far as invites to the airport. I think small is good. Any family and maybe a couple close friends if they would like. I am not too picky though. If you want to make it big, that is fine too. Just make sure invites for my talk are extended though. Too as many as possible. Food. Well...I do like the Cheesecake factory as well as My Big Fat Greek. Umm...nothing in particular though. I just want biscuits and chocolate gravy the morning of the 11th though. If possible.Thank you so much for your email Dad. I sure do love and miss you and I hope you have an awesome week :)

Mom- Get some rest :) haha. I love and miss you Mom. Thank you for all you do. Especially for the little time you take to just express your love to me. I appreciate it probably more than you know. I hope you have a great week :)

Jeri Lin- As always, thank you for your short, sweet updates :) Glad all your kiddos and hubby are doing well and that you are hangin in there with them :) But yes. Holy Smoke! There is a lot coming around the corner. Lots of excitement. It is gonna be good :) I love you lots and hope you have a good week :) Smile!

Keila- I love and miss you :) Our Birthdays are coming super soon! Have a good week!

Sydney- Thank you for your email and the things that you shared with me. I just kept thinking about the things you shared from your fireside and from your lesson at church and how I have learned and come to understand all those things more fully on my mission. It excites me that you are learning those things already. I have come to develop a great love for so many different people with so many different personalities because of the opportunity that the mission has given me to look past myself and serve others. It is such an incredible experience and it is coming swiftly to an end. Maybe one day you may have the opportunity to do this. It is so worth it, I can tell you that :) Anyways,you are looking good. Looking forward to seeing you for real without braces.. Haha. Love and miss you! Have an awesome week :)

Leslie- My goodness, you are right. I am on the home stretch. I have never been one that is into the whole stretching thing, but I am doing my best to stretch myself even further at the end. Thank you for your encouragement. I love and miss you! Have a good week :)

Brooke- Hey. I am gonna see you in a couple weeks. How neat is that? :) I love and miss you! Have a good week!

Hayden- Hey kiddo. You are awesome :) Have a good week! I will give you art lessons soon. Love and miss ya Buddy :)

That is all I have for the week.

The pictures are a progression of my Baskin Robbins Ice Cream party a couple nights ago. Enjoy :)

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)




No comments:

Post a Comment