Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Another Transfer, Come and Gone June 22, 2014

June 22, 2014

This week has just flown by. Super fast. It is pretty crazy to think that this transfer is over and that I only have 4 more of them left. I am sure you have all been awaiting the transfer news. I am sticking around here in the downtown area for at least six more weeks. I guess that shouldn't come as a huge surprise, seeing that I have been in my previous two areas for much longer than I have been here. My District isn't even changing all that much either...Just one sister leaving. So I am looking forward to getting to know the new sister as well as continuing to get to know all the other sisters in my District. :)

What else has happened this week...? I guess I will start with an awkward/funny story. So, we were walking like normal and we pass by this couple...sitting in the middle of the sidewalk...absolutely drunk. As we walk by, they just start making out. Gross. Then the lady started yelling at us, but we ignored her and just kept walking around the corner to our investigators apartment. As we were leaving though, we came back into their view and we just kept walking trying to ignore her, until she said, "Hey! I really want to talk to you!". We looked at each other and turned around. She then asked if she could say a prayer with us...and prayed the most...ridiculous prayer I have heard in my life...complete with a couple lines from the song, "Sweet Caroline". And then she proceeded to grab one of our hands and kiss them. Haha. We walked away disgusted and in shock. Just another day in the life downtown.

Other than talking to crazy drunks on the street, it was a pretty good week. We have started teaching like 3 new people. One of those people, we are gonna have the YSA sisters teach...which is a kinda a bummer, but it will be better for her. It was really kinda cool how we met her, Jacklynn, though. We were actually headed home for the night after talking with people at the river. She was walking down the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street, and she yelled to us asking what we were doing, because we "looked all official". We explained to her that we were missionaries, and she asked if we could baptize her. Which we responded positively of course, but explained to her that it was a big commitment and that we would like for her to learn more and come to church and everything first. So we had a lesson with her later on in the week, and we will be introducing her to the YSA sisters this week :) We also started teaching a young man by the name of Rodney. He is one of the kids that was in the group with all the skaters I mentioned last week. We taught him about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. He agreed to read and pray about it. Things are continuing to look up. We are still trying our best to help Kimberly and Calvin. Just trying to get them out of the ruts that are holding them back, because that is what they have known for so long. It really is a daily battle.

Speaking of a daily battle, I had a thought this week. It came to me just before we left the apartment in the morning. The thought was, "What makes me continue to do this, day in and day out?". This missionary stuff is hard work. Naturally, it made me think of football. What in the world made me do that day in and day out? Both are a daily battle. Just in different forms. The love for it is what has and had kept me going in each situation. People think I was crazy for running around, knocking heads in 100 degree weather. People think I am crazy for walking miles and miles in a shirt and tie each day to talk about the gospel. Who cares? I love it. It really pays off. This weekend, I have the opportunity to attend the temple with Juan. I am stoked. That is what keeps me going. Love. It is a powerful thing :)

I believe that is all I have to report on for this week. This morning, we woke up early to go play some ball with some of the young men in the ward. That was fun, and we have some more activities for later this afternoon. Life is good. I really can't complain. I hope you all are having a good Monday as well :)

Dad- All I have to say is just continue to keep up the good work :) It seems to me that you have had a pretty good week. You will just have to let me know if you find any better options for a replacement. I would say a mini cooper, but you would probably run into a similar problem as you did with the jeep...as well as another one as far as price goes. I admire all the minis that drive around downtown :) I love ya and miss ya Dad. Have a good week :)

Mom- Hayden has beat me for breaking a bone and passing out...haha. Not that I am jealous or anything. Poor kid. His swoosh looks good though :) I am glad you have had a good week though. Regardless of all that craziness :) I love you Mom and miss ya! I hope you have another good week :)

Jeri Lin- I always appreciate the little funnies of your kiddos :) So, thank you :) Well I am glad you are all continuing to do well down there in that Texas humidity. Thank you for sharing that lesson. Sounds like it went well, and that was a really cool activity. I always am trying to think up some good activities to have during my District Meetings :) I love you Sis and miss ya! Have a good week :)

Keila- I miss ya! Have a good week :)

Sydney- Well thank you for your emails this week. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Girls Camp and especially glad that you are enjoying church. That is one thing that I have come to love on the mission. Not having my family close by, has helped me realize how much a ward is really like a family. It is cool to see that you realize that now :) I am glad you are doing well and you will have to let me know how your Birthday goes. Happy Birthday a day early by the way! :) Also you will have to let me know how the rest of your trips and things go :) I love and miss ya! Have a a good week :)

Leslie- I will be looking for your letter! Have a good week! I love and miss you :)

Brooke- I hope you are having a good summer! :) I love and miss you!

Hayden- Well your hair looks good. :) I am sorry you passed out though. That is no fun. Keep up the good work in swimming! I love and miss ya little man! :)

Well that is all I have for now! :) I love and miss you all :)

Love,
Your Son
Your Brother
Elder Bryton Dane Shinkle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment